Everyday I fall a lil’ bit more in love with candles. They're so comforting...so cozy. Don’t they just seem to make everything so much prettier? I mean, they add such ambiance, such passion, such inspiration. Don’t they? Like a romantic dinner by candlelight.
Or more like me. Cooking alone. In my apartment.
Still, very romantic.
Last night I was on a baking mission. As you can see if you peeked into my apartment window…my kitchen is upside down. Lots of pots n’ pans and Bob’s fabulous gluten-free flour. Lots of apple skins. Lots of spices. The smell of freshly chopped rosemary. And my flickering lil’ apple scented candle. I’m a lucky lil’ duck to have one of these babies burnin’ in my kitchen while baking my holiday treats. Candles just seem to just put me in the holiday spirit. And quite simply, this strudel is one of the best gluten-free baked goods to come outa my tiny Manhattan apartment all season.
You want this. Trust me. There’s no such thing as just one bite. You’d hurt my feelings. You need at least two bites.
Strudel, anyone? I’ve got eight over here if you’re hungry.
Gluten-Free Apple Strudel
- 8 large organic McIntosh apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for topping
- 1/4 tsp. all-spice
- 1 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh organic orange zest
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed organic orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. gluten-free almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick baking spray. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar and rosemary. Add sliced apples; spread evenly.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt and orange zest. Add orange juice, almond extract and egg; mix well to combine and form a mealy texture. Transfer mixture on top of apples in the baking dish. Sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.