People might think you're crazy for making your own hot dog buns but I can give you five reasons why homemade buns are better than store bought.
1. Join the DIY movement. People make their own beer, brats, jams, pizza dough and more. When you make a food yourself, you'll have a deeper appreciation for the process as well as the final product.
2. If you bake your own buns, you know what's in it. Hot dog buns should have less than ten ingredients - all of which you should be able to read and recognize.
3. Baking more makes you a better baker. Just like with any other activity, you must challenge yourself in the kitchen to improve your baking skills.
4. When you bake your own buns, you can customize them to fit your hot dogs. All to often you see hot dogs too big for their buns and vice versa. You can avoid this inconvenience completely with homemade buns.
5. In the end, store bought buns are more expensive than homemade ones. Good quality buns can run you upwards of $5 for a half dozen and once they're gone, you'll have to run to the store and buy another bag the next time you have hot dogs for dinner. If you invest a little more money in purchasing some staples you can make five dozen buns and more.