Freak Tofu Explosion Injures Portland Woman

November 30, 2011

Portlandia writers take note for your next script because this seems like a story right out of the show. A woman in Portland was cleaning out her tofu pan when a powerful explosion rocked her kitchen and blew out the window of her apartment. 

The woman told police officers she had cooked tofu and was simply rinsing out the pan when the explosion occurred. She sustained a minor burn to her hand, but was otherwise uninjured. Fire department officials are stumped as to what could have caused the blast. 

Damage is estimated at $15,000. 

"We're scratching our heads," said Paul Corah, spokesman for the Portland Fire & Rescue. "We're all baffled." 

More Portland news: 

Image Sources: