Macaroni Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella & Basil
Are you looking for simple ways to eat better? Even if you're strapped for time, there are several simple steps you can take to make sure you and your family eat well, according to Andrea Holwegner, a registered dietitian.
So when thinking about what to make for dinner tonight, consider Andrea's tips for preparing pasta, a quick and easy meal that's good for you and loved by many.
• Portion control – Serve your pasta in a small bowl or plate to limit the size of your portion and avoid overeating. All you need is 1 cup of cooked pasta (the size of a baseball) for the proper serving size.
• Dress wisely – Try dressing your pasta with olive oil or tomato based sauces with olive oil instead of rich and creamy sauces. Pasta is a source of healthy, unsaturated fat that's part of the internationally-acclaimed Mediterranean diet.
• Cook it just right – Cooking your pasta perfectly al dente will result in a lower glycemic index, which is better for you.
• Choose healthy sides – Combine pasta dishes with healthy accompaniments, such as lean meats, vegetables or fish.
• Boost the flavour – Instead of reaching for salt or calorie-rich sauces, consider adding aromatic herbs such as basil and pesto.
• Cook with nutrient-rich pasta – Check labels. Some like Barilla PLUS give you even more nutrients such as fibre, protein and omega-3.
The next time you're looking for a quick and easy dinner dish, here is a healthy recipe to try: