Baked brie with maple-bacon apples
• 1 apple, unpeeled, cored, and cut into thin wedges
• 2 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 2 tbsp maple syrup, divided
• 350g wheel of brie
• Crackers or sliced bread
• Chopped chives (optional)
1. Cut apple into thin wedges. Heat a medium frying pan on medium-high. Add bacon and cook 3 to 6 minutes or until crispy. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Remove and discard half of fat from pan.
2. Add apples to bacon fat in pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook while stirring often, about 6 to 10 minutes or until apples are very soft. Add reserved bacon and 1 tbsp maple syrup.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a pie dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place brie on top of foil and poke holes in it with a skewer. Spoon apple mixture on top. Bake until cheese is very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drizzle with remaining maple syrup and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately with crackers.
Tip: You can make the apple topping up to a day in advance, just be sure to keep refrigerated.